Guide To Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Huntington Library


HM 52435

View all images for this manuscript

AMBROSIASTER, COMMENTARY ON THE PAULINE EPISTLES
England, s. XII2/4
ff. 1-129v: Incipit tractatus Ambrosii episcopi in epistola Ad Romanos, Principia rerum requirenda sunt ut noticia earum possit haberi…[f. 1v] Incipit Tractatus Sancti Ambrosii In Epistola Ad Romanos, Paulus servus ihesu christi. Apud veteres <nostros ratione> nomina componebantur ut ysaac propter risum…ut securos illos faciat et erigat ne timeant que irrogari possunt a perfidis sed in persecutione alacres//
Commentary by Ambrosiaster on the Pauline Epistles. CPL 184. PL 17:45-332D, 411B-420, 441-462, 421A, 423C-426A, 488D-494C. This manuscript missing 4 quires after f. 112 (end of commentary on 2 Corinthians, all of Galatians, all of Ephesians, beginning of Philippians); missing one leaf after f. 126 (part of Colossians); missing undetermined amount after f. 127 (end of Colossians, all of 1 Timothy, beginning of 2 Timothy); missing undetermined amount after f. 129 (end of 2 Timothy, all of Titus, all of Philemon); 1 and 2 Thessalonians are copied before Colossians. Each epistle commentary remaining with incipit (Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, Colossians) is prefaced by a chapter list; the chapter lists in this copy of Ambrosiaster retain forms of the Vetus Latina recension. The prologue to 2 Corinthians is that printed in the PL (not the one beginning “Sciens sanctus apostolus profecisse epistolam…” printed by A. Souter, “The Genuine Prologue to Ambrosiaster on Second Corinthians,” Journal of Theological Studies 4, 1903, 89-92), although the text of the commentary itself on 2 Corinthians begins differently here (but not in any large manner for any of the other commentaries) from that of the PL: “Paulus apostolus Ihesu Christi. Queritur cur in omnibus epistolis contra usum epistolarum primo suum nomen ponat…” A. Souter, A Study of Ambrosiaster (Cambridge 1905) 15, n. 12; same author, The Earliest Latin Commentaries on the Epistles of St. Paul (Oxford 1927) 57; H. J. Vogels, “Die Überlieferung des Ambrosiasterkommentars zu den Paulinischen Briefen,” Nachrichten der Akademie der Wissen-schaften in Göttingen, Philologisch-Historische Klasse (1959) 115, n. 5, all citing the present manuscript as “Bramshill House, IV.” Vogels lists 72 manuscripts of this text.
Parchment, ff. 129; 340 × 260 (270 × 157) mm. 1-158 168(- 6 after f. 126) + 2 leaves of a later quire. Quires counted in roman numerals in the center of the last leaf verso, [I]-XIIII on quires 1-14, and XIX-XX on quires 15-16; these 2 quires also signed C-D in the center of the first leaf recto. Ruled in dry point with top first and third (or occasionally second and fourth) lines and bottom last and third from last lines full across; double vertical rules on both sides of both columns (thus 4 central rules). 2 columns of 39-41 lines, with text copied above top line. Written by 2 scribes in minuscule scripts: i, ff. 1-112v; ii, ff. 113-129v (the quires with additional signatures, C-D); both use a smaller size script for the chapter lists, and a form of rustic capitals for the rubrics. The first scribe uses as “catchword” the latter part of a word that he was forced to divide and carry from one column to the next due to limitations of space. Four opening initials with scrollwork in the text section copied by the first scribe: f. 1 (prologue; somewhat damaged by damp), 24-line, in green, blue and red, inhabited by monks; f. 1v (Romans), approx. 26-line, but extending into the lower margin and cropped at the bottom, in pen outline without color, biting lions and foliage; f. 54 (1 Corinthians), 31-line, in green, blue and red, with men, animals and grotesques all grasping on to or holding one another; f. 90 (2 Corinthians), 20-line, in dark green, blue and red, with biting dragons. Three opening initials in simpler style in the text section copied by the second scribe: f. 118v (1 Thessalonians), 14-line, parted blue and green; f. 124 (2 Thessalonians), 14-line, purple; f. 126v (Colossians), 7-line, red with purple flourishing. Secondary initials, 5- or 4- line, and minor initials, slightly over 1-line, in green, light purple or red; those from f. 113 on, where the second scribe worked, occasionally with some void design or parted. Rubrics frequently in colored ink, e.g. f. 1 in blue and purple; ff. 1v and 54, green and red; f. 90, green, blue and red; f. 118, purple. Running headlines across the openings; biblical quotations signalled in the margins. Bound, s. XV, in calf over wooden boards, tooled and stamped in somewhat different patterns for the front and back covers by the “Fishtail” binder in Oxford; see Oldham, p. 22, stamps 160 and 162; remains of 2 clasps, closing from bottom to top, and evidence of a label formerly on the back cover. Written in England at Winchcombe Abbey ca. 1130-1140, by two scribes, the first of whom is the same scribe who copied the Bede now Oxford, Bod. Lib., Douce 368 (see N. R. Ker, English Manuscripts in the Century after the Norman Conquest, Oxford 1960, pl. 24). The two manuscripts were also decorated by the same artist; see A. Heimann, “A Twelfth-Century Manuscript from Winchcombe and its illustrations: Dublin, Trinity College, MS 53,” JWCI 28 (1965) 86-109, citing this manuscript on pp. 107-108, and with a reproduction of the initial, f. 1v; Sotheby’s catalogue, 11 December 1979, lot 46, also links the illumination of the present manuscript with that in two other Winchcombe books ( Cambridge, University Library, Mm.3.31; London, Brit. Lib., Cotton Tiberius E.iv). See Ker, MLGB, pp. 198-199 for a list of surviving books from Winchcombe Abbey, including HM 52435 (as Camarillo, Doheny Lib., 50). This book was still at Winchcombe under the energetic direction of Richard Kidderminster (abbot, 1488-1525), when it received its present binding, as did another Winchcombe book in similar binding, an Augustine, now Oxford, Jesus College, MS 102. Said in the literature (Dawson’s typescript description [1950]; Doheny catalogue 1955; Bond and Faye 1962; Christie’s sale catalogue 1987; see below) to have belonged to Sir John Prise (1502/03?-1555), a commissioner for the visitation of the monasteries in 1535 and 1539. This ownership seems posited on the fact that Jesus College 102 belonged to Prise and that the two manuscripts (the present one and Jesus College 102) are in very similar bindings. However, the binding of both was certainly done while the books were still at Winchcombe. Moreover, Prise’s will directs that his books go to Hereford Cathedral (where one is presently so identified) and to Jesus College (where 2 are so identified); neither of the other Winchcombe books that passed by inheritance through the Cope family shows any evidence of ownership by Prise (Cope sale, lot 9, later Sotheby’s, 11 December 1979, lot 46, now Oxford, Bod. Lib., Lat. th. d. 461; Cope sale, lot 171, untraced). See N. R. Ker, “Sir John Prise,” The Library, ser. 5, vol. 10 (1955) 1-24, esp. p. 15, listing an Ambrosiaster that did belong to Prise ( London, Brit. Lib., Burney 42; whence some of the present confusion?), p. 14, emphasizing the Cirencester (Gloucestershire) and St. Guthlac (Hereford) origin of most of Prise’s books, and pp. 19-20, discussing the Winchcombe origin of the present manuscript in the context of Prise’s ownership of Jesus College 102. May have belonged to Sir Walter Cope; see A. G. Watson, “The Manuscript Collection of Sir Walter Cope (d. 1614),” Bodleian Library Record 12 (1987) 262-297, discussing this manuscript on pp. 274, 291-292. The book was in the library of the descendants of Sir Anthony Cope, a brother of Sir Walter; it was recorded in the Cope inventory compiled ca. 1772 as n. 6. Sale of Sir Anthony Cope of Bramshill Park, Winchfield, Hampshire, Sotheby’s, 4 March 1913, lot 4 to Barnard. On the front pastedown the bookplate of E. F. Bosanquet; his sale, Sotheby’s, 24 June 1944, lot 64 to Maggs. Also on the front pastedown, in pencil, the note, “George A. Goyder, Maltby, Oxford, 1944”; sold by him to Maggs in 1950. On the back pastedown, the name of Dawson’s Book Shop in Los Angeles and the date June 1950 (but not their price code); a typescript description from Dawson’s is with the book. Acquired at that time from Dawson’s by Carrie Estelle Doheny, on whose collecting see E. Shaffer, “Reminiscences of a California Collector: Mrs. Edward Laurence Doheny 1875-1958,” The Book Collector 14 (1965) 49-59. Doheny accession number 6385 on f. 129v. Mrs. Doheny left her extensive collection of manuscripts, books, William Morris materials, paperweights, Western Americana, paintings and tapestries to the library she built at St. John’s Seminary in Camarillo, California, in the archdiocese of Los Angeles, as a memorial to her husband. Sold by the archdiocese through Christie’s, 2 December 1987, lot 141 with reproduction of initials on ff. 1, 1v, 54, 90 to Maggs for the Huntington Library as a gift of the Dan Murphy Foundation in memory of Bernardine Murphy Donohue.
Secundo folio: enim filius hominis
[This manuscript was received too late to be included in the regular sequence.]
Bibliography: HMC, 3rd Report, Appendix (1872) 242, n. IV. Schenkl 4747. [Carey S. Bliss and Amelia B. Bliss], Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts in the Estelle Doheny Collection, Part Three (Los Angeles 1955) p. 3 and pl. VI of f. 54. Bond and Faye, p. 13 n. 50.
Notes
1 I thank Andrew Watson for supplying, in a great rush, the present location of this manuscript and the following bibliography on Sir Walter Cope.

Abbreviations
Bond and Faye
C. U. Faye and W. H. Bond, Supplement to the Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada (New York 1962)
CPL
E. Dekkers and A. Gaar, eds., Clavis patrum latinorum. Sacris erudiri 3 (Steenbrugge, 2nd. ed. 1961)
HMC
Historical Manuscripts Commission
JWCI
Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes
Ker, MLGB
N. R. Ker, Medieval Libraries of Great Britain (London, 2nd ed. 1964)
Oldham
J. B. Oldham, English Blind-Stamped Bindings (Cambridge 1952)
PL
J. P. Migne, ed., Patrologia latina
Schenkl
H. Schenkl, Bibliotheca patrum latinorum britannica (Vienna 1891-1908; repr. Hildesheim and New York 1969)

C. W. Dutschke with the assistance of R. H. Rouse et al., Guide to Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Huntington Library (San Marino, 1989). Copyright 1989.
Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery, San Marino, California.
Electronic version encoded by Sharon K, Goetz, 2003.
All rights to the cataloguing and images in Digital Scriptorium reside with the contributing institutions.